Thursday, January 17, 2013

Snow... for a second.

In Alabama, we take any "snow" we can get. People go crazy around here at the mere mention of the stuff. It's pretty wild. But we do love a good snow every once in a while. And by good I mean, more than 1/4 inch. I've been disapointed enough as a child by getting my hopes up for snow only to be crushed that it never happens. So now, I pretty much don't believe there's going to be snow, inspite of every weather forecast, until I see it and it sticks. Then I allow myself to get excited about it. I told Haynes it was snowing this afternoon and that is the picture I most wish I had gotten. His face lit up with a smile and we went to the front door to get a better look. Great big snow flurries were falling heavily and were just beginning to accumulate on the ground. It looked like it would be promising. Brookelynn giggled and grinned at it. She really didn't know anything about snow but she was excited because we were. This is Brookelynn's first snow! We stared out at it for some time and marveled at it's beauty. Snow really is beautiful. I sent Haynes and Brookelynn to bed for their naps knowing that they would be short ones. That was okay. I really wanted to go play too but there wasn't enough to play in right then. The both went to bed still marveling at the snow. They actually both took good naps and both woke up happy and excited about going out. Brandon even got off early so we started the process of getting our layers of clothing on while we waited on him to come home. Then out we went into the wet, sticky, not so good but good enough for us, snow. It was VERY wet and messy but it didn't matter to them. They laughed and giggled as they experienced the cold stuff and threw it around and tasted it. Haynes made some snow balls had a blast trying to get us with them. Brookelynn would pick up a little piece of snow with her glove and toss it trying to hit something, and then laugh and laugh. Haynes has seen, I believe, 3 or 4 snows now, but it makes me smile to think that this is the first one he might actually remember. It was melting as we played but I am thankful for that little bit of snow.


 Our house and our neighbors house in the midst of the blizzard.
 


















And then it was time to warm their frost bitten hands with hot chocolate and a big marshmallow. Of course, they loved it.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment