Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A Busy Christmas Day 2012

Christmas Day doesn't look like much on this blog entry because I was too exhausted to take any pictures. I ended up having to go in to work on Christmas morning. It was no surprise and I was planning on getting called in but it was still disheartening to say the least. After a busy Christmas Eve and late night out with the babies, I got up before anyone in the house was up got ready for work. It didn't feel like a holiday at all.
I drove to work that morning with a heavy heart, thinking about all the things I would miss with Brandon's side of the family and I really had a bad attitude about the whole thing. But, of course, not a single nurse wanted to be there any more than I did. Suck it up Melody, nurses have to work holidays. I can't say that I felt great about being there all day but I actually do LOVE my job and being at work in general and once I was there and we all had our assignments, it wasn't really so bad. It was a pretty busy Christmas (I think from all the storms that day) so things weren't slow which was good and bad for us. At least we weren't sitting around doing nothing but it meant none of us were going home any sooner than we anticipated either. There were 5 or 6 deliveries of babies that day I believe. I hate it for those poor babies who'll have to celebrate their birthdays in July but at least their birthday will be easy for people to remember. I did end up getting a lucky break when one of our nurses came in a little early and I was able leave work at around 3:30 instead of 5pm.

I had missed most of the festivities at Nonie and Pawpaw's house, and the family picture, and the family time but I made it in just enough time to say Hi and Bye to everyone. One thing that Nonie and Pawpaw love to do is sing a couple of Christmas songs and take a serious and a goofy picture. No pictures of Nonie and Pawpaws but here's one I stole from Honey's facebook page. Don't they all look cute in their Rudolph noses? I really hate that I missed it.



After we left there, we went to Honey and Papa's house for some time with them. Honey always has more presents under the tree than will fit. One thing I learned early about Desiree Ellis is that she is a gift giver. She loves to give people things and send sweet little notes. It is precious to me that she and Ron are both so thoughtful. That being said, the kids dug in and opened and opened and opened. By the end of it, I had no idea what Brookelynn and Brandon had gotten as they were on the opposite side of the room as me and Haynes. There was wrapping paper everywhere and toys and clothes scattered about. We all had our thoughtful gifts in little piles and still, I'm sure that we probably mixed a few of the toys up. There is usually at least one thing lost every year. I guess it was exhaustion and the sheer craziness of opening presents with all the grand kids but I didn't break out the camera once while we were there. I promise I'll try to do better next year. We all were stuffed, exhausted, overstimulated, and ready for bed that night - not just the little ones. 

I was scheduled to work the next morning too but fortunately, I was cancelled and did not have to go in. We spent the day packing and getting ready for our trip to South Carolina to see the rest of the family... cue, the next blog entry.


No comments:

Post a Comment