Thursday, August 9, 2012

rainy days are happy days to me

This morning I fully planned on having a hot, sunny day. I got myself going and as I have missed every single morning of our friends' open swim invite on Thursdays, I was determined to make it to this one today. So off we went as the clouds began to loom overhead. Just as I finished giving the babies a healthy dose of spray sunscreen (which they hate) it looked like there would be no sun for this day of swimming. *sigh* Oh well. We did get a few minutes of swimming and play in before it started thundering and lightning. Then just as we started lunch, everyone decided to head home. We headed to Maja's house for a little visit - which was nice. Thank you, Maja.

Now what to do with the rest of the afternoon? It was a perfect day to go to the library, pay my 40 cents worth of late fees (which I have been avoiding) and then check out some books. I get very bored with the same books over and over again at our house but I really love reading to Haynes and Brookelynn. They snuggle in close and though B really doesn't sit still for most books yet, I know she listens. I am not a reader myself. I have always avoided reading as much as possible and I don't want my kids to be that way. I hope my kids don't take after me. I hope they enjoy reading just for the sake of reading.


I stress when we go in the library. They don't understand the words "be quiet." They talk and scream and carry on. They touch every book on the shelves and as soon as I put one up that Brookelynn has brought me, Haynes has removed another from the shelves. It is an exhausting process and I end up putting Haynes in a chair with a puzzle and Brookelynn in a chair with a toy and rushing through the library, trying to find as many exciting books as I can before I completely lose control of my children. I found a big pile of books to read, paid my late fee and hurried out of the library. I know they are happy to see us leave. I am as excited if not more that we have some new books to read during quiet moments of the day. As soon as we got home, we read a few. Brookelynn went down for her nap and Haynes and I read a few more and sat and listened to the rain before his naptime. I cherish that time with my boy. It was a nice, rainy afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. I get stressed when I have Nathan with me at the library. Brandon knows where his favorite section is and goes right to it. But Nate is one of those kids running around and screaming. lol. Glad it turned out to be a nice day.

    ReplyDelete